Friday, August 28, 2009

A Message from a Friend

A while back I wrote about the importance of holding hands, and a few days later, I received a message in my facebook inbox. I am posting this story with her permission, because I thought it was too beautiful for you to miss...

I read your blog about holding hands a little while back.. it was beautiful and so poignant how something so simple made all the difference. It made me want to share this story with you.

Yesterday was our 4 year anniversary. Four years married but it will be 18 together in Dec. As we were walking down the main isle in Target, J held my hand and gave me a little kiss on the forehead. This is an everyday occurrence, we still hold hands, even to fall asleep sometimes . But at the same time he made a comment “Remember when we were young and holding hands was a really big deal.” He remembered the day he and I walked into school and down the hall holding hands for the first time. It was a big sign to everyone that said we are together now! I was taken back that he remembered that and then the day flashed in my memory as well. It was such a big deal that I was actually given demerits on the drill team for behavior unbecoming of a lady. I told him your story and how beautiful I thought it was. How I never realized that something so simple could be a big key. But then it hit me, when was the last time you saw a couple holding hands in public that was under 30? Under 60? I can’t even remember. It made me sad, holding hands is not a big deal anymore. It seems to me it is an overall sign of the lack of intimacy our society has lost. It made me wonder how many relationships would last, how many marriages would not break apart. Then I thought how lucky I was that my husband not only wanted to hold my hand but remembered the first time he got to do so in front of everyone. Anyway I just wanted to let you know that "always remember to hold hands" is my new motto!

This message from my friend meant so much to me. It was important to know that other people are still holding hands, and that she took the time to share this with me...

Isn't it lovely?

1 comment:

  1. And they are such a great couple too! Love N&J both, and miss them lots.

    ReplyDelete