Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Story

I was reading over my blog list today, and catching up on new posts and entries, and it struck me for a moment how much more interesting all these stories are than the way that I perceive my own life. Do we each view our own story as the most mundane? Is this simply because we lived it, are living it, and we don't see the spectacular in the day to day?

I was thinking to myself as I read these blogs that I don't see what I have to offer that others would like to read about. I don't live on a farm, I don't have kids to post pictures of, I don't have a theme that people can universally relate to. For a moment, I sat there in self pity, wondering why I should blog, and then I remembered two very important facts.

1. I blog for me first and foremost. I blog because I have things to say. I blog because I need to sort my thoughts, I need to tell the story, I need to capture so that I can remember.

2. Nobody else has my story. That is what makes the world of blogs so fascinating to me. I can read about a journey to adoption, yet that is not my story. I can read about life on a ranch, yet that is not my story. I can read about your children, your families, your world, and yet, none of those are my story. But you know what? I can write MY story, and nobody else can.

~I can write about the life of a church secretary
~I can write about the perspective of an Army brat
~I can write about the life I have chosen
~I can write about the thoughts I have

And although each of those factors may be shared by other blogs, nobody has the story that I can share.

And nobody has the story that you share.

Blogging to me takes this huge world of nameless people and faces and gives them names. It fleshes out the people that walk down the street next to you each day. It shows how wonderfully unique each and every one of us are.

So tell me your story, and I will tell you mine.

7 comments:

  1. It's as if you were reading my mind. I, too, was wondering what my blog could possibly offer. What could I write about that anyone would even find interesting? But then I remind myself why I started blogging in the first place and in particular,why I'm doing NaBloPoMo this year-- to get the creative juices going and to actually learn a little more about myself.

    I look forward to reading your story. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I don't feel I have much to offer either, but there are some things that I know no other blogs I read can write about in the same way.
    I would love to know your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting subject, in my opinion. In fact, one of the posts I'm currently working on was sort of about this. The only person's story you can truly live is your own—own it!

    I look forward to reading more of your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this subject interesting, actually. It's amazing to think of the stories we tell. One post I'm working on right now is sort of about this. The only person's story you can truly live is your own—own it!

    I look forward to reading more of your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Ifer, you only feel that way because it is your life. As a reader and friend, I find you life to be interesting. I enjoy reading your posts. I enjoy looking at the pictures you have taken, or reading about the concerts you've attended, as well as everything in between that you view as mundane. You're a person, and a wonderful one at that. Your blog is like your memoir, if you will. You DO have a story to tell, and you have found wonderful blog friends who like to read it, share in it, and enjoy it with you. Like you said, it is a way to connect with others that you normally wouldn't have been able to do. I personally have found you to be a joy and value your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel this way, too, and have at times allowed my writing life to be paralyzed by it. I am glad to hear that others have felt this way, too. I know that I have never read a blog that was uninteresting to me, so I try to remind myself that the same must be true for others reading mine.
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true. I mostly find other peoples blogs so interesting, even it they are just blogging about somethin g random that happened to them, but always seem to feel that what I have to say may not be worth writing.

    ReplyDelete